Can you Fill in the Gaps?

Can you fill in the gaps
Having lived here all my life, you would think I would know more about my hometown. The fact that I don't is frustrating me so can you help? I have numbered each one so you can refer to whichever one you have information on.
Question 1. I know there used to be a few tunnels joining several places of the town but where were they and are any still accessible? I would love to film a passage video if any do exist. I did hear that there was one at Lee Mount, one at the Shay and others from middle of the Old Cock hotel to a) the market, b) the Parish Church, c) Gaol Lane. I also heard stories of one from Illingworth Jail to town and another from Shibden area to town.
The Old Cock Inn

 

Question 2. On Norland moor there is some kind of bunker but who has access to it and if its you,would I be able to view it, please?
Question 3. Is there anyone reading this with information and/or pictures of one of the towns past characters (Lilly Fogg). I know there is a song about her and I have also heard several tales about her (well known) reputation as a lady of the night.
Question 4. I am always on the lookout for articles or tours of Halifax places with an interesting history e.g.. Mackintoshes factory, Fountain Head brewery, the Old Cock Inn, Ring o'Bells, Dean Clough, many, many more. So, if you know about any or, even better, can give me a guided tour, then I would appreciate your time.
 Question 5. Haunted houses and pubs. Lots of pubs have claims to be haunted but which ones? and what are the stories behind them?
Question 6. The Beatles once stayed at Holdsworth House, Royalty has visited town and several top bands were here in the sixties but who has pictures of any of these occasions?
Holdsworth House
Question 7.  Some of Halifax's more popular characters include:- Big Daddy, Welly Bob Jim, the lady who sold you the out of date 'green final' (football results) at the Shay, Kenny Carter, many more but can you tell a true story about any of them?
Question 8.  The day the Shaymen beat Man Utd,  Halifax RL winning the Challenge Cup and any other sporting successes. Can you tell the tale?
Question 9.  The Bridge Inn in Ripponden has claims to be the oldest pub in Yorkshire. Heath Grammar Schools' stone chiselled entrance sign was spelled wrong(Grammer), Ed Sheeran was born in Hebden Bridge. What facts can you tell us about our town?
Question 10. We have had several films filmed or partly filmed in and around the town including 'Room at the Top', 'Nicholas Nickleby', 'This Sporting Life', 'Brassed Off' and 'Wuthering Heights. Do you have any memorabilia?
'This Sporting Life'  starring Richard Harris and partly filmed at Thrum Hall

Comments

  1. hi gary
    in your fill in the gaps, you asked about tunnels, as far as I can remember there used to be one from the wheatley well. opposite the pub of the same name, go down ramsden street turn right towards mixenden and just past the house on left hand side was a well below the road level, and if I remember right there was a tunnel there too heading towards the wheatley well inn and ramsden street

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts