View from Beacon Hill

Saturday, 12 January 2019

Halifax Post Office

Halifax Post Office through the ages

(centre) The Old Post Office down Winding Road

So - where was the first Post Office in Halifax located? It was in Winding Road - then known as Windhill Lane - where it becomes Smithy Stake, today the usefully renamed ‘The Old Post Office’, formerly ‘The Bowling Green Inn’. The only postman in those days for the township of Halifax was a man always referred to as “Joe Post”; a little thick-set man who wore a blue serge apron when delivering letters. He lived at the corner house at the top of Well Lane.

In or before the year 1829, the Post Office removed to 10 Cheapside. This new location was on the south side of that thoroughfare, near where the Royal Bank of Scotland currently stands. Commercial Street did not then exist. 

Who was Tabitha Bagnold?

By June 1850 the Halifax ‘Guardian’ was reporting new premises had “been taken at number 6 George Street

Then in 1887 a new purpose-built General Post Office was opened some fifty yards away in Commercial Street

Read the full story of Tabitha Bagnold

Friday, 11 January 2019

Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Grove Edwards

Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Grove Edwards, 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry (The Prince of Wales's Own) at the head of his regiment marching into Crown Street, Halifax, 1884.
Oil on canvas by John Wright Oakes (1820-1887), 1887.
Charles Grove Edwards (1843-1904) succeeded his father as Honorary Colonel of the 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry (The Prince of Wales's Own) in 1890. Sir Henry Edwards Bt (1812-1886) had been Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant of the regiment from 1863 and its Honorary Colonel from 1884, while his brother, nephew and all four sons served in the regiment.
Sir Henry, probably the largest landowner in the district, was one of the mill owners who were responsible for re-raising the regiment in Halifax in 1843. He was also a local magistrate, the first Tory Member of Parliament for Halifax (1847-1852), MP for Beverley (1857-1869), and Deputy-Lieutenant of the West Riding.
The Prince of Wales's Own 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry was first raised in 1798. It was disbanded in 1802 but subsequently re-raised and disbanded a number of times in the early nineteenth century. In 1843 it was re-raised for the last time, following violent demonstrations by the Chartists and the 'Plug Riots' of 1842, which gave powerful local cotton-mill owners cause to seek protection. During a period of serious economic depression, the Plug Riots began as a strike in the mills to protest at the imposition of wage cuts but soon spread to involve nearly half a million workers throughout Britain.
The 2nd West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry, 'the Blue Jackets', was regarded as one of the three most efficient regiments of yeomanry cavalry in the country. Nevertheless, it was disbanded in March 1894.
National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4HT
Registered Charity Number: 237902

Bull Green Postcards

A couple of similar postcards looking towards Cow Green. 

The second postcard has 'Hx 85' written on it but who would like to date the first one?

Lilly Lane Baths

Lilly Lane Baths

Eureka is one of Halifax's most popular tourist attractions, but did you know that the same are was also attracting large numbers of visitors many years ago too?
Lilly Lane Baths Aka Halifax Baths & Pleasure Grounds and Greece Fields Public Baths, Halifax.

Part of the large area once occupied by Halifax Baths & Pleasure Grounds

The facilities were said to be the finest and most extensive suite of baths in Yorkshire, including bowling greens, quoits area, shrubberies and landscaped gardens with some of Leyland sculpture, dining room, shower baths, swimming baths, medicated and sulphur baths, and hot, cold and tepid baths. A membership fee was charged for the use of the facilities. The baths were supplied by fresh-water springs which rose in Greece Fields. The privately-owned baths, which were built of red brick, closed in 1853 and were sold to make way for the railway. 
Evening Courier 

Thursday, 10 January 2019

Life and Times of North Bridge


The original stone bridge. 

This view shows the North Bridge over Hebble Brook in Halifax, which stood for nearly 100 years from 1774 to 1871. 

 A south-east view of the North Bridge, Halifax

The 'new' North Bridge

Burdock Way
Completed as a cast iron arch bridge in 1869. Designed by John Fraser. The contractor was Archibald Neill of Bradford, and the ironwork was supplied by J. Cliff and Son of Bradford. Now only the original outer pairs of arch ribs are cast iron, the inner five being steel replacements for four original arches. The original inner arch ribs were each assembled from four castings, while the middle 52ft long lection was fabricated from wrought iron plate. 

 This article 'Burdock Way' explains the building of the dual carriageway